India is one of those epic bucket list destinations that everyone either wants to visit or has already been there. From the iconic Himalayas, the majestic Taj Mahal and the sandy beaches of Goa; to snow covered Kashmir, the backwaters of Kerala and the historical land of Rajasthan – there is and always has been a wide range of incredible places to see in India.
It is a country where each corner depicts a colourful tale of its own. A land full of Instagrammable spots, India is that one country whose pictures I never seem to run out of. So, if like myself, you too have myriads of content to share from India and are looking for inspiration for your next Instagram caption, then you have come to the right place!
In this article, you’ll find over a 100 best quotes and captions related to India travel. From famous Indian landmarks, cities and states quotes; to funny puns about India and Indian food – I have searched the world wide web for you and collected my favourite India quotes and captions. I hope you find them inspirational, uplifting, helpful and hilarious for your next social media post.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using any of those links, I may get a small commission. Thank you for your continued support!
Famous India Quotes for Instagram
From popular movie dialogues to words by historians and novelists, a lot has been said globally about India and its undeniable beauty. Here are some of my favourite well-known quotes about India:
1. “[India is] the One land that all men desire to see, and having seen once, by even a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for all the shows of all the rest of the globe combined.” – Mark Twain
2. “Don’t we each have the right to not stop seeking until we get as close to the source of wonder as possible? Even if it means coming to India and kissing trees in the moonlight for a while?” – Elizabeth Gilbert
3. “There are three trips you take to India: the one you think you’re going to have – that you plan for; the one you actually have; and the one you live through once you go back home.” – Erin Reese
4. “India is a place where colour is doubly bright. Pinks that scald your eyes, blues you could drown in.” – Kiran Millwood Hargrave
5. “Be as intellectual as you like about it, but India is brilliantly mad. And if you want to love it, you have to hate it first.” – Simon Dring
6. “To me, India’s always represented ‘everything’; it represents ‘all.’ Everything is here. You can stay here forever, and you’ll never feel like you’ve missed out on life.” – Chris Martin
7. “Time spent in India has an extraordinary effect on one. It acts as a barrier that makes the rest of the world seem unreal.” – Tahir Shah
Meaningful India Quotes and Captions for Instagram
It is no secret that a trip to India leaves a long-lasting impression on travellers. If you are looking for expressive quotes and captions to best explain your time in India, then you might find some of the ones listed below befitting.
8. “India teaches me again and again, that the categories into which I try to divide things don’t hold up.” – Dena Moes
9. “If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India!” – Romaine Rolland
10. “India – a land where the last thing one needs to bother with is looking good. In India – at least in the circles I moved in – it’s natural to look beautiful by the smile in your heart and the way you move through the world.” – Erin Reese
11. “The train system in India is chaotic and fun – it’s the best way to see the landscape. Being in with all the families and also being the odd animal is a colourful experience you’ll never forget.” – Natalie Dormer
12. “India is a curious place that still preserves the past, religions, and its history. No matter how modern India becomes, it is still very much an old country.” – Anita Desai
13. “India is not a place that one can pick up and put down again as if nothing had happened. In a way, it’s not so much a country as an experience, and whether it turns out to be a good or a bad one depends, I suppose on oneself.” – Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
14. “In India, you’re taught that there are certain qualities that make you a divine-human being.” – Deepak Chopra
15. “I am an Indian and we celebrate all festivals in every region of every religion. That is why it is called Incredible India!” – Vinayak Muraleedharan
Short India Quotes and Captions for Instagram
Not in the mood for a thoughtful caption and want something short and sweet instead? You might like these fun one-liners about India in that case!
16. “Waking up in India is like waking up to life itself.” – Reymond Page
17. “India lives in several centuries at the same time.” – Arundhati Roy
18. “The world is the body and India is its life.” – Khalid Masood
19. “If there is paradise on earth, it is this, it is this, it is this.” – Amir Khusrau
20. “India is still medieval.” – Abhijit Naskar
21. “Everything is recycled in India, even dreams.” – Shashi Tharoor
22. “India is not a country, but a home.” – Khalid Masood
23. “India will reveal to you the places in your heart that must be purified.” – Erin Reese
24. “In India, everything has a use and a value.” – Tahir Shah
25. “To other countries, I may go as a tourist, but to India, I come as a pilgrim.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
26. “India absorbs things; India’s not a divisive place.” – Rahul Gandhi
27. “In India, it is believed that all creatures have a purpose.” – Mel Gibson
28. “There are two kinds of people in life: those who like India and those who do not.” – Khalid Masood
29. “India is a country in which every great religion finds a home.” – Annie Besant
30. “India is not a nation, nor a country. It is a subcontinent of nationalities.” – Muhammad Ali Jinnah
Inspiring India Quotes and Captions for Instagram
Are you looking for something extensive and thought-provoking instead? These inspiring quotes about India and Indian culture will definitely touch a chord or two in your heart.
31. “If I would be given a chance to rewrite the dictionary, I would flip through the pages so quick and would replace India with, the land where beauty is redefined in itself, kindness has been touched, warmth has been spread and emotions has been felt.” – Magith Noohukhan
32. “There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and won’t go. For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colours, smells, tastes, and sounds. It was as if all my life I had been seeing the world in black and white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant technicolour.” – Keith Bellows
33. “Indians are the Italians of Asia and vice versa. Every man in both countries is a singer when he is happy, and every woman is a dancer when she walks to the shop at the corner. For them, food is the music inside the body and music is the food inside the heart. Amore or Pyar makes every man a poet, a princess of peasant girl if only for second eyes of man and woman meets.” – Gregory David Roberts
34. “I listen to the sound of India’s voices for the last time. Laughter ripples like water. Prayer is a single note held long. There is so much life here. And too much death. I feel a soft breeze caress my face and I look up. An orange ribbon is floating through the air. In India, it’s easy to see the wind.” – Cathy Ostlere
35. “I believe that the civilization India evolved is not to be beaten in the world. Nothing can equal the seeds sown by our ancestors, Rome went, Greece shared the same fate; the might of the Pharaohs was broken; Japan has become westernized; of China, nothing can be said; but India is still, somehow or other, sound at the foundation.” – Mahatma Gandhi
36. “This is indeed India!” …. The land of dreams and romance, of fabulous wealth and fabulous poverty, of splendour and rags, of palaces and hovels, of famine and pestilence, of genii and giants and Aladdin lamps, of tigers and elephants, the cobra and the jungle, the country of hundred nations and a hundred tongues, of a thousand religions and two million gods, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, mother of history, grandmother of legend, great-grandmother of traditions, whose yesterday’s bear date with the modering antiquities for the rest of nations-the one sole country under the sun that is endowed with an imperishable interest for the alien prince and alien peasant, for lettered and ignorant, wise and fool, rich and poor, bond and free, the one land that all men desire to see, and having seen once, by even a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for the shows of all the rest of the world combined.” – Mark Twain
37. “To know India and her peoples, one has to know the monsoon. One has to know the monsoon. It is not enough to read about it in books, or see it on the cinema screen, or hear someone talk about it. It has to be a personal experience because nothing short of living through it can fully convey all it means to a people for whom it is not only the source of life but also their most exciting impact with nature.” – Khushwant Singh
Best Quotes about Indian cities for Instagram
38. “Banaras is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend, and looks twice as old as all of them put together.” – Mark Twain
39. “Bangalore will always greet you with dreamy weather, Carnatic fusion melodies, a signature breakfast of masala dosa and filter coffee, and notorious traffic of course.”
40. “Calcutta is beautiful. Wherever you place a camera, you get a vision.” – Pradeep Sarkar
41. “Calcutta’s the only city I know where you are actively encouraged to stop strangers at random for a quick chat.” – Tahir Shah
42. “Calcutta is not for everyone. You want your city clean and green, stick to Delhi. You want your city rich and impersonal, go to Bombay. You want them hi-tech and full of draught beer, Bangalore’s your place. But if you want a city with a soul, come to Calcutta.” – Vir Sanghvi
43. “Experience monsoon in Mumbai and you will never feel like going to any other place in the world.” – Anonymous
44. “I asked my soul: what is Delhi? She replied: the world is the body and Delhi its life.” – Mirza Asadullah Beg Khan Ghalib
45. “If there is one city apart from Mumbai where I would love to settle down, it has to be Chennai.” – Ashwin Sanghi
46. “Jaipur is a blushing bride draped in pink, dancing in our dreams while the peacocks sing.” – Vinita Kinra
47. “Jaipur is the finest jewelry ever created on earth, where king was the jeweler and bricks his gems.”
48. “More dreams are realized and extinguished in Bombay than any other place in India.” – Gregory David Roberts
49. “Mumbai is my heart, Bombay is my soul.” – Anonymous
50. “Time spent at the sand dunes of Jaisalmer is never wasted. Rajasthan is calling and I must go.”
Best Indian States and Regions Quotes for Instagram
If you are looking for state-specific quotes or captions about Indian regions instead, here are some words about Kashmir, Rajasthan, Kerala and more that you can use.
51. “Beauty of Kashmir can’t be compared by the whole world.” – Aqdas
52. “Imagine a king without a crown. Imagine India without Kashmir.” – Vinita Kinra
53. “Rajasthan is more than just a desert. It’s a tourism gem and jewel.”
54. “Rajasthan is a beautiful amalgamation of the old and new; the ancient and the modern.”
55. “Kerala is superbly seen from a saddle, or with a paddle. No hour of life is wasted that is spent in Kerala.”
56. “Kerala is like opening up a lucky bag of surprises. Surprises full with so much adventure, love, culture, and nature making that bag a quite heavy.”
57. “If there is an appetite for adventure in you, then there is plenty of room in Kerala for you.”
58. “When you miss the deserts, head towards Rajasthan.”
59. “There is something in the Kerala air that makes sleep useless and encourages us to go, discover, and share more of the mesmerizing Kerala.”
60. “When people go to Ladakh, they go to Leh; they don’t go to everything in the middle.” – Gautam Singhania
61. “With the sound of gushing water, aroma of pine trees, the vibrancy of saffron, rise of azaan and an unfathomable calling, Kashmir surprises everyone.”
Best Puns about India
Aren’t puns always a great idea for an Instagram caption? Whether you are looking for hilarious Indian food puns, city puns, or just any Hindi puns in general; here are some of my favourite puns about India that I am sure you’ll find funny too.
62. “I can’t wait to Goa there.”
63. “Keep calm and curry on.”
64. “Never a dal moment in India.”
65. “India is my cup of chai.”
66. “Having a bad day? Wish you Lucknow!”
67. “In gur company.”
68. “Aren’t the monkeys in India a little Agra-ssive?”
69. “Have I told you how much you mattar to me?”
70. “We just got here, but now it’s time to say Mumbai.”
71. “Agra-t place to take pictures!”
72. “Should we have brunch at the Delhi or the New Delhi?”
73. “I am having aloota fun in India.”
74. “Oh my gourd, isn’t India just beautiful?”
Famous Indian monuments, lakes and landmarks quotes
Want a quote or caption about a well-known Indian landmark or monument? From the Taj Mahal in Agra to Naini Lake in Nainital; here are some popular quotes about famous sights in India.
75. “The Taj Mahal rises above the banks of the river like a solitary tear suspended on the cheek of time.” – Rabindranath Tagore
76. “The sight of Naini Lake is always refreshing.”
77. “Taj Mahal is not just a monument, but a symbol of love.” – Suman Pokhrel
78. “There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who have seen the Taj Mahal and love it, and those who have not seen the Taj Mahal and love it. I would like people to watch the Taj Mahal and fall in love with it.” – President Bill Clinton
79. “There’s something that has captured Mumbai’s imagination. It’s indeed an awesome architectural beauty that captures the sea-side view. It shot puts the scale and grandeur of the city. That’s the Gateway of India.”
80. “The Golden Temple, Sikhism’s holiest shrine, is in northwestern India near the Pakistani border, and it is a delightful place to contemplate the draw of faith.”
81. “When God gave men tongues, he never dreamed that they would want to talk about the Himalayas; there are consequently no words in the world to do it with.” – Sara Jeannette Duncan
82. “In the Himalayas, it is hard to put words on your experience, you have to explore yourself – it has always been amazing.”
83. “Doesn’t this sound like a fun idea? You can camp almost anywhere in the Himalayas be it Kullu, Mcleodganj, Rishikesh or the foothills of Everest.”
Quotes and sayings about India by famous people
For a country as widely-known and visited as India, it is expected that a lot of famous people have said some wonderful things about it in the past. Here are some renowned sayings about India by the likes of Albert Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi, J.R.D Tata and more.
84. “We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made!” – Albert Einstein
85. “There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and won’t go. For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colors, smells, tastes, and sounds. It was as if all my life I had been seeing the world in black and white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant technicolor.” – Keith Bellows
86. “India shaped my mind, anchored my identity, influenced my beliefs, and made me who I am. … India matters to me and I would like to matter to India.” – Shashi Tharoor
87. “India’s way is not Europe’s. India is not Calcutta and Bombay. India lives in her seven hundred thousand villages.” – Mahatma Gandhi
88. “In India, I found a race of mortals living upon the Earth, but not adhering to it, inhabiting cities, but not being fixed to them, possessing everything, but possessed by nothing.” – Apollonius Tyanaeus
89. “If India is not secular, then India is not India at all.” – Atal Bihari Vajpayee
90. “I do not want India to be an economic superpower. I want India to be a happy country.” – J.R.D. Tata
Funny quotes and captions about India
Is humour more of your thing? These funny India quotes and captions might be exactly what you are looking for in your India pictures.
91. “Everywhere we walked we got plenty of attention due to the camera and sound men. The locals love to get on camera. I’d seen footage of Gandhi surrounded like this and always thought it was because he was very popular, but now I wonder if it was just because he had a camera crew with him.” – Karl Pilkington
92. “Living in a small town [in India] was like living in a glass house!” – Mallika Nawal
93. “But nothing in India is identifiable, the mere asking of a question causes it to disappear and merge into something else.” – E. M. Forster
94. “In India, even the most mundane inquiries have a habit of ending this way. There may be two answers, there may be five, a dozen or a hundred; the only thing that is certain is that all will be different.” – Eric Newby
95. “In India, an explanation is often more confusing than what prompted it.” – Tahir Shah
96. “Being one in a million in India means that there are 1241 Indians just like you!”
97. “India is the only country wherein the total number of engineers exceeds the number of vehicles on the road.” – Nipun Varma
98. “No people whose word for ‘yesterday’ is the same as their word for ‘tomorrow’ can be said to have a firm grip on the time.” – Salman Rushdie
Beautiful Indian Outfits Quotes and Captions
And lastly, here are some short quotes and captions about beautiful Indian outfits to help depict the utter joy that it is to wear them. I mean, don’t you just love how colourful they are?
99. “Happiness is… wearing a lehenga.”
100. “Keeping our Indian traditions alive… One lehenga at a time!”
101. “Leaving a little sparkle wherever I go. Literally!”
102. “You can’t live an Indian life without Indian clothes!”
103. “As far as a lehenga is concerned, Robert Venturi was right: more is more and less is a bore!”
104. “The joy of dressing is in wearing an Indian dress!”
105. “When in doubt, wear an Indian outfit!”
That’s a wrap! I hope you liked this post about the 100+ best India quotes and found them enjoyable to read. In case I missed your favourite quotes or puns about India, then please let me know in the comments below and I will update the list.
If these beautiful India captions and quotes got you dreaming about visiting more places in the country then cities like Kolkata and Kochi are great additions to any bucket list! Though, if you are looking for a staycation rather, then Kumarakom Lake Resort and Alila Fort Bishangarh are most exquisite.
Want to keep reading? You might like “40+ Best Taj Mahal Quotes and Captions for Instagram” and “The 200+ Best Italy Travel Quotes & Italy Captions for Instagram” too.
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT FOR LATER!